Location: indoor or outdoor
Materials: just the creative activity a child is engaged in
Asking questions about an art project a child is working on is a great window into their thinking. Here are some open-ended questions and observations you might use with children:
- Tell me what you are working on.
- You made some interesting sounds with your shakers.
- Tell me about your drawing.
- I notice you used four different colors and filled the entire page.
- What happens if you combine the two colors?
- How did you make that shape with your clay?
- What happens if you move your shaker really fast/really slow?
- How did you make that stand up?
- Is there anything else I can get you for your project/painting/etc.?
What We're Learning
- flexible thinking
- language and communication
- scientific thinking and problem solving