Materials: old digital camera or smartphone (or multiple if you have them!)
With digital photography technology much more widely accessible, it presents an opportunity to put it in the hands of your kids. Giving a child a camera gives you a window into what they're looking at and interested in.
Give kids a turn to document what they see using an old smartphone or digital camera that you have on hand. There are a variety of ways that this can be implemented:
- Have the camera available for when kids request to use it. You can introduce it as a tool they can use when they find or create things that they want to share with the rest of the class or their families.
- Go on picture walks where you are looking for specific items and invite kids to take turns taking pictures as they discover the things you are looking for (ex: an animal walk where you take a picture of all of the different animals you see in your neighborhood)
- Look at the photos together during group time as a way to remember things you've done recently
- Print and display the photos where parents can see
What We're Learning:
- observation skills
- language and vocabulary development